Douglas Spiker, DVM
Co-Founder & President
Dr. Doug Spiker is a co-founder and President of Essentials PetCare. Our team knows him as our Intrepid Mastermind – the creator of our movement to expand veterinary care. Dr. Spiker is a small animal veterinarian, who realized the significant need for making basic pet care both affordable and accessible to all families after practicing for several years as a co-owner of a walk-in veterinary hospital.
Born in Fort Wayne, Indiana, he moved at a young age and grew up in New Port Richey, Florida. Dr. Spiker earned his doctorate from Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine and a bachelor’s degree in Biology from Florida State University. He describes one of his greatest joys as “watching the organization grow from a concept into a mission-oriented company full of talented individuals.”
- Favorite book? In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette. I found this book equal parts humbling and inspiring.
- Hobbies? Swimming, watching The Simpsons episodes on endless repeat, finding ways to insert my favorite Simpsons quotes into my everyday life.
- Personal motto? “Bite off more than you can chew and then chew like hell.” – Peter Brock
Christine Battista, MS
Co-Founder & Chief Operating Officer
Christine Battista is a co-founder and Chief Operating Officer of Essentials PetCare, a.k.a. The Maestro. Her professional experience includes marketing, merchandising and product development; working with small organizations, non-profits, and national retailers as well.
Christine comes from an entrepreneurial family, and was born and raised in Port Richey, Florida. She earned her master’s degree in Consumer Affairs from Auburn University, and double-majored in Merchandising and Apparel Design, earning her bachelor’s degree from Florida State University. She takes pride in ensuring our team’s efforts always remain true to our mission–serving as an advocate on behalf of pet parents, and encouraging consumer transparency and education to enhance the lives of people and their beloved pets.
- Best concert ever attended? Madonna: Rebel Heart tour – Brooklyn, NY
- Skills or talents that most people don’t know about? Ballroom dancing, sewing and patternmaking
- Personal motto? “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you’ve imagined.” – Henry David Thoreau
Co-Founder & Chief Operating Officer
Bruce Newman is a co-founder of Essentials PetCare and serves as our Executive Chairman, i.e. the Navigator. Bruce’s background includes 30 years of entrepreneur experience in developing and financing businesses in the area of B2B software, technology solutions for big box retailers, and investment banking.
Bruce grew up with his six brothers and sisters on Long Island in New York where he started his first business at the age of 21. Bruce enjoys working with determined people who have a shared vision of building an organization that can have meaningful impact.
- If you were a superhero, which one would you be? Batman of course, beginning from when I was 7.
- Skills or talents that most people don’t know about? I’m pretty good at riding a unicycle, although it’s been a few years. Good to have in my back pocket if I ever decide to join the circus!
- Personal motto? Always do the right thing.
Travis W. Wagner, DVM, DABVP
Regional Clinical Director
Dr. Wagner is the Regional Clinical Director for Essentials PetCare. As a classmate of Dr. Spiker, Dr. Wagner graduated from Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine in 2005. Originally from Birmingham, AL, he started his small animal medicine career in Alpharetta, GA, for two years before moving back to his wife’s hometown of Gadsden, AL. He spent several years in emergency/critical care practice at a surgical referral hospital and also helped establish a practice limited to internal medicine service for the specialty hospital. He continues to practice full time general medicine and surgery at a small animal hospital in Rainbow City, AL.
In 2017, Dr. Wagner passed board certification with the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners in the area of canine/feline practice. This is an organization that certifies general practitioners as practicing on the standard of a specialist through a rigorous review of credentials, writing of detailed case reports and literature reviews, and a two-day board exam. Dr. Wagner joined Essentials PetCare in 2018 and initially began assisting with development of our medical protocols to ensure they were the highest standards possible and in accordance with published guidelines by the American Animal Hospital Association, American Association of Feline Practitioners, and the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine. He now serves as a Regional Clinical Director to oversee the implementation of these protocols and ensure that our patients receive the highest quality of care.
Dr. Wagner entered veterinary medicine because of a love for animals, but he has come to realize that the field is often more about helping people. He is excited to have the opportunity with Essentials PetCare to bring affordable care to more pets and pet owners so that more people can improve their quality of life through the human-animal bond. When he’s not working, Dr. Wagner enjoys spending time with his family (wife Stephanie, daughter Natalie, and son Reade), running, traveling, and playing drums.
- What’s the best thing about working at EPC? “Strengthening the human-animal bond by proactively keeping pets healthy and educating owners about basic pet healthcare.”
- Favorite way to spend a day off? “My typical day off is a morning jog, lunch date with my wife, then playing with the kids after school.”
- Best concert ever attended? “Any of the 13 Poison shows I’ve been to, although KISS and Iron Maiden have to rank at the top as well!”
Jesica Workman, DVM, CVPM
Texas Managing Veterinarian and State Administrative Director
Dr. Jesica Workman is the Managing Veterinarian and State Administrative Director for Essentials PetCare in Texas. Born in Kansas, she grew up on a farm and has always had a love for animals. Dr. Workman earned her doctorate from Kansas State University and is a Certified Veterinary Practice Manager. After graduation, she moved to Texas to join her husband. Dr. Workman loves working with people and their pets and has a passion for education.
- What’s the best thing about working at EPC? “Having the ability to help pets and impact the community in a positive way.”
- Hobbies? “Yoga, reading, scuba diving, crafting, ballroom dancing.”
- What would be your personal motto? “Hakuna matata? Just kidding – The golden rule: treat others as you wish to be treated.”
Texas Field Leader
Karli Dumovich is a veterinary technician, Texas Field Leader, and clinic manager in Anna, TX. She was born and raised in Southern California before moving to Texas in 2015. Karli attended the Veterinary Technology Program at San Juan College and is returning to school to finish her degree in Fisheries and Wildlife Conservation. Karli has had a deep love for animals since she was young. She grew up visiting the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park and attended numerous camps through their summer programs. This fueled her passion for animals and wanting to help them, and was the steppingstone that helped Karli enter the veterinary field.
If Karli could travel to one place, it would be Scotland. Her favorite way to spend a day off is enjoying family activities with her daughter and husband. Some of her hobbies include painting and woodworking with her husband.
Stephen Godwin, JD, MA
Director of Talent Operations
Steve Godwin is our Director of Talent Operations, or as we refer to him behind his back, “Ditto.” Steve has over twenty years of human resources experience and service as counsel to senior management. Prior to joining Essentials PetCare, he called Tallahassee home, serving as legal counsel to several Florida executive branch agencies and most recently as Director of House Administration for the Florida House of Representatives.
He received a Juris Doctor degree, a master’s degree in Public Administration, and a bachelor’s degree in International Affairs & Political Science from Florida State University. Steve says he enjoys working for a company like Essentials PetCare that “offers a team management approach to performance and productivity, which provides a fun, exciting, and challenging work environment, and for which my contribution is meaningful to me, my employer and the public.”
- If you were a superhero, which one would you be? Run Away From Danger Man
- Personal motto? “Quondo Omni Flunkus Moritati”
- If you could travel to one place, where would it be? 19.3947 N, 154.9291 W.
Director of Talent Development
Shoshana Milberg is our Director of Talent Development. She started working in the veterinary industry in 2007 when she took a break from working as a middle school, science teacher. She graduated from The George Washington University with a BS in Biological Anthropology and later earned a AS in Veterinary Technology from St. Petersburg College.
As a Certified Veterinary Technician, she has held several roles in and outside the hospital such as: Veterinary Technician, Practice Manager, Field Leader, and Operations Specialist. Strength Finders, Servant Leadership and First Break All the Rules are some of her favorite leadership books.
- Hobbies? “I love to travel and when I do, I’m in my camper with all my pets (cats and dogs). Our longest trip was 40 nights and we covered 6,000 miles around the US!”
- Quote? “Collect moments, not things”
- Top three things that are most important in your life? “Being kind, positive and grateful.”
Talent Support Manager
Debby is our Talent Support Manager, guiding our organizations’ efforts to discover and support the most talented team members to help fulfil our mission. She grew up in New York on Long Island, the eldest of 7 children, which helped initiate her organizational and “people” skills.
After moving to Florida and many years of owning and operating family businesses including restaurants, bars, and a hotel, she entered the field of Healthcare Provider Credentialing, working for nearly 2 decades in this industry. Debby is passionate about the EPC model and “being on the ground floor of an innovative and much needed new concept on a national level, to see it all take place and watch the growth!”
- Best concert ever attended? “Rolling Stones”
- If you could travel to one place, where would it be? “To Italy again!”
- Personal motto? “Try to learn something new every day.”
Construction Project Manager
Jason Samough is our Construction Project Manager. He has a bachelor’s degree in architecture, a master’s degree in construction management, and has worked for a variety of public and private sector clients in Miami and San Francisco for nearly two decades. Jason’s passion for building design, construction techniques and their effect on the operations of a business always encourages him to find the best balance of cost, functionality and appeal to fit the particular needs of a facility. Jason particularly enjoys being a part of a unique company like Essentials PetCare because it allows him to employ ideas from his other areas of interest, such as business, law and technology. When not attending to the needs of Essentials PetCare, Jason spends time trying out local restaurants, hiking on trails and running with his wife and their adopted Foxhound, Coco.
- Hobbies? “I still ‘build’ with Legos, but this is really research for work!”
- Words to live by? “Treat others the way you would like to be treated.”
- “I think ‘fusion’ food is like fusion language; it doesn’t make any sense; and I don’t understand it.”
Marketing & Communications Specialist
Marie Umholtz is our Marketing and Communications Specialist, a.k.a. the Media Whisperer. She has a background in professional writing and digital media.
She grew up in Florida and received a bachelor’s degree in English with minors in art and multimedia management at Saint Leo University. She has a passion for helping people discover the best opportunities in pet care and educating clients, so they can make the best decisions for their pets.
- Hobbies? I love art—both studying and creating it—in my spare time. I especially love drawing, painting, and sculpting.
- Skills or talents that most people don’t know about? I was able to ace a biology lab practical once thanks to watching SpongeBob.
- If you could travel to one place, where would it be? If it’s a real place, I’d love to visit Italy. If it could be anywhere, I’m going to Narnia.
Karla Solis Zuniga, MBA
Social Media and Outreach Coordinator
Karla Solís Zuniga is the Social Media and Outreach Coordinator of Essentials PetCare. Her professional experience includes customer service, marketing, and entrepreneurship.
She grew up in Dallas, TX, and after receiving a bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice from The University of Texas at Dallas, she went on to serve the Dallas Police Department for 6 years. She then attended The University of Tampa and graduated with a Master in Business Administration in Marketing in 2014. She has two Chihuahuas named Dallas and Texas that mean the world to her.
- Hobbies? “Long distance running with Texas, my Chihuahua. People laugh when they see me running at a very fast pace with a 6-pound Chihuahua leading the way.”
- Skills and talents most people don’t know about? “Singing songs of my favorite artists which include Christina Aguilera, Rihanna, and Carrie Underwood.”
- If you could travel to a place where would it be? “Ibiza, Spain is on my travel bucket list. I’m totally a beach lover.”